What is there not to love about the Fourth of July?! Each year we make sure to celebrate freedom with all of our favorite things. Beautiful summer weather, fireworks, family, and food! The men in the family usually unleash their inner pyros and pick out some of the best fireworks, aka spend money that will be blown to smithereens in mere seconds. We usually end up gathering at Jenny’s home since it is the perfect spot to fill our bellies and then let the fireworks soar!
To get in the holiday spirit, we whipped up some homemade ice cream….4th of July style! What better way to use some of those berries we’ve been picking too! We took a basic ice cream recipe and added lemon pudding and lemon juice to make it extra lemony. Lemon ice cream is the bomb by itself! But we decided to give it a little color and extra deliciousness by adding the black raspberries and strawberry swirl. Enjoy! And make a double batch so you can share with others! Sharing is caring.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 box lemon pudding mix
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup black raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- In a small saucepan, mix strawberries and sugar over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until strawberries can be broken down. Remove from heat and cool.
- While strawberry mixture is cooling, combine the cream, half & half, sugar, lemon pudding mix, vanilla, and lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk for 4-5 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker. Follow directions on ice cream maker. Add black raspberries and fold into the processed ice cream.
- Layer processed ice cream and strawberry mixture in a freezer safe container. Use a knife to swirl the strawberry mixture into the ice cream. Freeze for at least 5 hours or until ice cream is set.